Exercise of the week-"The Plank"
Do you want to get better looking abdominal muscles – fast?
then why not try this different exercise to help you achieve this goal.
The Plank-Abdominal Exercise
The basic plank exercise, also called a hover, is the starting place if you want to improve your core strength and stability.
Here’s how to do it right.
- Begin in the plank position with your forearms and toes on the floor.
- Keep your torso straight and rigid and your body in a straight line from ears to toes with no sagging or bending.
- Your head is relaxed and you should be looking at the floor.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds to start.
- Over time work up to 30, 45 or 60 seconds.
Plank with Leg Lift
Start in the same plank position as above with your forearms and toes on the floor.
- Slowly raise one leg 5-8 inches off the floor
- Count to two and slowly lower your leg to the floor.
- Switch legs and repeat.
- Do about 2-3 sets of 10 reps.
Plank with Arm Lift
- Start in the same plank position as above.
- Carefully shift your weight to your right forearm.
- Extend your left arm straight out in front of you.
- Hold 3 seconds while keeping your core tight.
- Slowly bring your arm back to starting position.
- Switch arms and repeat.
- Do 2-3 sets of 10 reps.
To modify the plank you can perform the exercise on the bosu ball or on the Swiss ball to enable you to feel it more.
LEE-FITNESS INSTRUCTOR @ RAINHAM