Exercise of the Month - Push Up Row
A more advanced exercise to the push up, it works the core harder and gets more muscles involved. When performed correctly it works the chest, shoulders, arms, back, abs and even the legs.
How to Do a Push Up Row
- Start in a push up position with each hand on a dumbbell (use light weights to start)
- Keep you hands directly beneath your shoulders
- Balance on your hands and toes with your feet spread wide for stability
- Keep your back straight, squeeze in the abs (maintain this for the whole exercise)
- Perform a press up, when returning to the start position add in the row
- Raise one dumbbell while stabilizing your body with the other arm
- Return the dumbbell gently to the ground and repeat another push up
- Continue the push up row motion alternating arms
- Don’t rotate the hips as you perform the row
- Repeat for as many repetitions as your workout routine requires
This is a really challenging exercise, especially if it is put into a circuit formation.
Regression – perform on the knees as a box push up – do one press up for each arm row.