Detoxes are great for anyone wanting to kick start a diet, boost the metabolism or just to cleanse and feel better generally!
The 4 main rules to follow are:
• Avoid foods that cause bloating, particularly dairy and wheat based products, these are the most common food allergens that cause bloating and discomfort in the abdominal area.
• Avoid saturated fats when consuming and cooking food. Olive or flaxseed oil is a far better alternative when cooking or dressing salads.
• Avoid red meats and cured/preserved meats due to their high fat and salt content.
• Avoid high sugar processed foods.
To boost the detox effects of the diet, when you wake up, have a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon to cleanse your system. Have two pieces of fruit mid-morning and two servings of fresh, stewed or baked fruit after dinner.
• Porridge made from rolled oats, millet or rice- Use banana or sultanas to sweeten and soya milk.
• Poached or boiled egg.
• Avocado on wheat-free toast.
• Soya yoghurt with linseeds, sunflower seeds and a little honey.
• Gluten-free muesli with soya milk or water.
• Salad on rye crispbread or non-wheat bread or with a jacket potato.
• Potato salad made from chopped jacket potato soaked in French dressing while still warm
• Pasta salad using non-wheat pasta with cold, steamed vegetables.
• Steamed or grilled fish (4 servings a week) with at least 3 servings of steamed vegetables.
• Grilled organic, skinless chicken breast (no more than 2 servings a week).
• Brown rice with steamed vegetables and tofu.
• Bean or lentil stew served with brown rice.
SNACKS: Fruit, raw vegetables, raw nuts and seeds (unroasted and without salt or coatings).