To effectively burn body fat and keep it off you need to increase your metabolism for as long as possible.
A combination of cardio and body weight moves works really well so try this idea:
- Start at an easy level for 5 minutes and increase the level every 30 seconds. By the end of the 5 minutes you should be working at an effort level of 8/10.
- Jump off the bike and perform 20 squats.
- Get back on the bike and carry on again for 4 minutes doing the same as before.
- Do another 20 squats and get back on the bike for 3 minutes.
- Then 20 squats and 2 minutes, finishing with 20 squats and 1 minute at a high level.
- As you get fitter try using dumbbells during the squats.
- Row 300 metres at level 8.
- Perform 20 press ups and repeat this 5 times trying to improve the time it takes to do 300 metres.
- Run, jog or walk for half a mile.
- Stop and do 20 lunges then restart the treadmill and do another half a mile quicker than before.
- Do another 20 lunges and another half mile and repeat once more.
- Add dumbbells as you get fitter.
Finish off with the following combination
- Choose a pair of dumbbells that are a challenge.
- Dumbbell squat and press 10 times.
- 20 crunches then another 8 dumbbell squat and presses.
- 18 crunches then 6 dumbbel squat and presses.
- 16 crunches then 4 dumbbell squat and presses.
- Continue at 14 crunches and 2 dumbbell squat and presses and finish off with a final 12 crunches!
Please see an instructor for help with any of the above exercises.
By Mark Dopson
Reynolds @ Rainham